Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Like Tweet

Flats...the Cloth Diaper that's Not Just a Diaper!

I asked for cloth diapers for baby shower gifts...and received so many flats, I didn't know what to do! (Most people do think of flats or pre-folds as the only "cloth diapers" as it turns out...we're working on this one!). And of course, no receipts!

What do you do with 3 dozen flats?! My stash mostly includes prefolds and pocket diapers. Even though I extended my stash a little with the wonderful, versatile, and FAST drying flats, I still had far too many! Of course, there are several more folded and staged for burp cloths and multi-purpose cloths, but even then I had to admit there was no need for all of them.

These extra flats have been waiting for me in my craft bin...and over the past months, I have found some creative and amazing ways to use them.

First, I folded the flats, sewed around the edges, and added beautiful fabric or ribbon trim to the edges. These were perfect "fancy" burp cloths...just like I had envied in the boutiques! (But was not willing to splurge over $10 for!). They are marvelously absorbent, and have helped me use up some spare fabric pieces.

My next project is a continuation of the "green revolution" happening over here. I admit, I have an unhealthy addiction to the pre-moistened floor wipes as a substitute for mopping. However, I really want to minimize the chemical usage in our house, so I found an old towel...and merged a scrap of towel & flat diaper to make a reusable floor wipe! I saved the container from the commercial brand, and filled it with these reusable wipes. When I ran out of towel, I just layered the flat diaper on top. The flat diaper is the perfect fabric for catching in the little plastic tabs of the floor sweeper! And since it's a diaper, as you can only imagine, it is far more absorbent than the disposable variety!!

I know that not everybody has a sewing machine, but my final creative use for flats can be used by anyone that can work a safety pin! I ran out of wrapping paper, and didn't have time to purchase a gift bag for a friend's baby shower (why do I always wait until the last minute?!). In a sudden rush of creativity, I wrapped my gift just like a little diaper on a baby with a ribbon tag (using 2 overlapping flats so you couldn't see through the "wrapping"), and secured them closed with safety pins. Wouldn't you know, this present's wrapping got more appreciation than the gift itself!

There's still a few more flat diapers in that bin, and I'm looking forward to the next burst of invention. What do you do with your amazing flat cloth diapers?

Blog post written by: Julie G.

10 comments:

KarilynAley said...

i LOVE the idea of using them on the "mops" you can get! i'm obsessed with those as well, but hate how much waste they create... hmmmmm definitely given me food for thought...

thanks!
kari meeker

Jeannette said...

I love the idea to wrap baby shower gifts in a prefold! What a cute way to start the cloth convo and save the waste of wrapping paper.

Sara said...

Have you been to diapersewing.com? I haven't tried it yet, but they have patterns for turning prefolds into fitteds. Looks simple! That'd be my plan.

Jenney said...

Dust! We use them to dust!

Genevieve said...

Love to use them to stuff my pockets!

Emm said...

I lay them on the change table over the cover (so I don't need to wash the cover as much). Its great to dry off his bum after I've washed it clean. I can change them every day or two depending. I have the flannel flats.

Jessica said...

I LOVE my prefolds and flats. The mop idea is awesome, I've been using a homemade crochet pad for mine- but I like your idea a lot. My favorite application of spare flats has been as puddle catcher. When my little one needs just a little time out of a diaper to air out -I use a few flats I've edged with spare fabric as a kind of pee pad. She gets the breeze and her bouncy chair or mattress doesn't get all wet!

Jessica P said...

I.Love.Flats.as.diapers.
It is grieving to read that you mop your floor with them.

LadyGen said...

Cut them into quarters, serge (or zigzag) the edges and use them as un-paper towels!

Wazka815 said...

I love the idea of using flats as wrapping paper! I've already been planning on decorating them for a fancy burp cloth, I just need to sit down and do it!