Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Monday, October 28, 2013

Like Tweet

Her Stash Is Bigger Than Mine

I’m pretty new to cloth diapering. We chose it out of necessity (a big move, a new baby, and unemployment) and all of our diapers were hand me downs. The only new diapers we have are diapers I received to review on my blog. (Which is actually kind of awesome—not gonna lie.) I never really thought about the fact that my stash was small or plain until I joined a couple of cloth diapering groups and started perusing the cloth diaper hashtag on instagram. And THEN the green ugly envy monster crept up on me and swallowed me whole.

There was one day in particular where everyone seemed to be bragging about their stashes. I couldn’t believe how many diapers some people had and how stinking adorable their diapers were. To say I was jealous would be the understatement of the century. I was FURIOUS. Here I was, doing laundry every day to diaper my infant in diapers that had already been used by another family and there these women were with their custom diapers and their fancy wool covers and fitteds. I’m not proud of my feelings or thoughts, but it is what it is. I was mad.

And then one day, everything changed. I was standing in the grocery store, frustrated that I had to choose between apples and bananas and getting pretty emotional over the fact that we didn’t have enough money to buy both. All of a sudden I realized that I am so fortunate to not have to decide between food or diapers. Who CARES that my diapers aren’t cute or pretty or new? My child’s basic need is undoubtedly taken care of and I don’t ever have to worry about how we’re going to buy diapers. THAT is pretty cool and something that I am SO thankful for. That fact has totally squashed the envy monster. (OK so maybe not TOTALLY…but we’re working through it.)

Fluff Lust is serious and dangerous. For real. We need to try to get over our jealousies and just admit that if the roles were reversed, we’d totally be splurging and bragging too. I get it. It’s hard to look at another person’s awesome stash and not be a wee bit envious. Cloth diapering is so much fun, but getting jealous of someone else’s well earned stash is just self-destructive. Just remember : diapers catch poop. If one poop catcher is cuter and more expensive than another poop catcher and if someone happens to have more poop catchers than you…well…that’s just gonna have to be OK. Be happy for your fellow cloth diaper addict! Chances are, there was a time when they had eyes for another person’s stash, too. Just say “NO!” to Fluff Lust and we’ll all be happier people!

Bio: Kristen LaValley is a blogger and stay at home mom to a crazy toddler and a chunky new baby. She blogs unapologetically (and sometimes hilariously) about her faith, parenting, and spit up at www.whenathome.com.


Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! As a mama whose stash I mostly handmade, I understand :) size doesn't matter, you're doing something good for your family and that's what matters.

Anonymous said...

Great post! As a mama whose stash I mostly handmade, I understand :) size doesn't matter, you're doing something good for your family and that's what matters.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. I have a fairly small stash myself because of money. But you are so right, I don't have to choose between meeting my son's basic needs. Thanks for a great post!

Unknown said...

Fortunately I have not had any serious bouts of stash envy yet. I do spend (way too much) time on facebook and different diaper sites designing my perfecr stash in my mind. This can be and occasionally is more of a downer than a past time. If it weren't for winning giveaways my stash would be basically flats/prefolds and covers. That fact is what helps me stave off most envy and bad fluff days.

Unknown said...

Its a great post.There is a huge collection of baby cloth diapers.
I really enjoyed your post .Its really a helpful post.
Thanks for sharing The post

Unknown said...

I love this post. I think even those with "big, expensive" stashes get jealous of others, as well. There is always going to be someone out there with more. I love your perpective on this. ♡♥♡

Unknown said...

I love this post. I think even those with "big, expensive" stashes get jealous of others, as well. There is always going to be someone out there with more. I love your perpective on this. ♡♥♡

Rachel Costello said...

I love this! I have definitely felt this. I try not to be discouraged. I tell myself that the poop catcher is saving me money, even in an apartment.

Anonymous said...

2 yrs ago I was very jealous of other's stashes. But I also learned that most of those are build over time. A lot of time. 3 yrs of buying 2-3 a month (only need 16 ish to start anyways) and now I have one of those big stashes. But it also came with a price. Instead of being a sahm full time, I have to work part time. 23ish hrs a week to pay for 2-3 diapers a month (other expenses still have to come out of my check like gas to go to work and an extra car payment, etc). There is always an unseen trade off in those stash pics. :-)

Sandra said...

Awww, I'm new to CD and literally wanted to throw in the towel after 1 week because I only had 6 diapers. I now have 12 and it's made my CD life so much easier. This article made me tear up and laugh! Love it!