Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Like Tweet

I Got My Husband to Cloth Diaper and You Can Too!

“I will never cloth diaper, that’s so gross!”

You might think this gem was said by my husband, Adam, since this article is about getting fathers on board with cloth diapering but nope, it was me. I never would have dreamed of cloth diapering. Folding cloth and using pins? No thanks! I imagined myself using a washboard and bucket and scrubbing the diapers by hand. When I said this to Adam he nodded in agreement then added, “and then there’s the poop.”

But I’m writing this article because we have obviously chose to cloth diaper. This decision came when our daughter, Ariel, turned 2 months old. We had been battling diaper rash pretty much since she was born. The disposable wipes just seemed to make it worse. While trying to doctor her diaper rash with some Desitin I remembered back to when I was in the hospital and a nurse told me to use wet cloths once in a while instead of disposable wipes all the time. So we switched to cloth wipes, we used our extra baby wash clothes and dipped them in water and guess what? Her diaper rash was gone in two days! I was amazed and started looking into cloth diapering. But how would I approach the subject with my husband who seemed to be more against cloth than myself? After changing Ariel one night I sat down on the couch next to Adam and said, “I think I want to try cloth diapering.” He raised an eyebrow, “I don't know about that? What about the poop?” The poop factor is very important because, you know, poop is gross. “I’ll clean them,” I said as I reached for the laptop and prepared to buy my very first cloth diaper, a Bumgenius 4.0. I eagerly awaited for the package to come in. The diaper was beautiful and I couldn’t wait to put it on my little girl!

We used it as her nighttime diaper for several days and I thought it was great. My husband thought it was okay but we both agreed we couldn’t really get a feel for what it would be like to cloth diaper full-time. His tepid approval was enough to convince me though to order 18 more diapers, all Bumgenius 4.0s. Once they arrived I showed my husband how to put them on. He did fine except the first time he put them on when I wasn't there. He put it on backwards and she leaked everywhere. Now, two months later, all three of us love cloth diapers. My husband loves how much money we’re saving and that Ariel has had virtually zero blowouts since we switched. She had them EVERY SINGLE day while using disposables. Adam even tells everyone how awesome they are and I love it! I really knew he was a fan the day we completely ran out of diapers and we had to use disposables for the day. He kept asking me when her diapers would be ready and as soon as they were dry enough he put a cloth diaper back on her.

As far as getting your own husband on board with cloth diapering it is best to mention the savings by switching to cloth. That seems to be the biggest concern with men. Also, it would help to buy diapers that most resemble a disposable diaper, like an All In One or Pocket diaper, like the Bumgenius 4.0. It is very easy to use. As far as cleanup, I’m the one who handles all the poop and I’m fine with that. I never asked him to wash any diapers but he actually has a couple times without me even saying anything. Score! Another issue, that doesn’t really get addressed is the comfort of your little one. I mean, would you rather wear comfortable, cotton underwear or Depends?

You know your husband better than anyone else. Do your research and be open and willing to answer any questions he may have. Like you, he wants the best for your little one. Besides, the poop won’t be as bad as he thinks! Good Luck!

Bio: Felicia lives in Louisiana with her husband, Adam; her adorable 4 month old daughter, Ariel and her two dogs, Tink and Rocky.


Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm expecting my first baby and I want to use Cloth Diapers. My mom always told me that When I was a baby I has the same problem of your little one. So I cant even think abt put on my baby disposable diapers, but my husband has a big problem with the poo. what do you recommend me to do?