Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Like Tweet

Why I'm Glad I Didn't Choose One Diaper Brand or Style

When I first started cloth diapering, I did my research. I talked to friends who used cloth diapers, I “googled” it, I read as much online as possible to wrap my head around what it would take to use cloth diapers. After digesting the information and deciding to take the plunge, the hard part came. Deciding what diaper to buy. The best advice I read, which I am so glad I followed, is don’t commit to one brand, style or diaper!

Having a mix of brands and styles has really worked for my advantage. In the 16 months I have been using cloth diapers, I have been able to gather quite an eclectic mix, so that, no matter my mood or different caregiver changing a diaper, I have one that works. Here is a little about each of the styles/diapers I have, and why I like them.

Hybrid Diapers
My stash started out with hybrid diapers, specifically, Grovia Hybrids. I was drawn to this brand for their cute prints, and flexibility. Surprisingly, this is the diaper my husband always reaches for. I love using the snap in soakers because leaving the house on outings requires less baggage in my Logan & Lenora Daytripper. I take 2-3 soakers and an extra shell and I’m good for a day away. I also love the Biosoakers for traveling. They fit so nicely in the Grovia Shells and make using cloth for a week getaway so easy. I recently took a trip where we stayed in a hotel for 5 days. I used the biosoakers every day, and washed my shells at night in the hotel sink. I took 6 shells and a pack of biosoakers and cloth diapered the whole time!

Pocket Diapers
When I was building my stash through Kelly’s Closet, I got quite a few bumGenius 4.0’s and Kawaii pocket diapers free with their coupons. These are great for daycare and grandparents because they are the most like changing a disposable diaper, when pre-stuffed. My number one favorite diaper also falls into this category, the Thirsties One Size Pocket. I love that the Thirsties pocket has leg gussets because that really holds the EBF poop and the explosive toddler poops inside and not on my carpet. Plus I can easily get away with a 4-5 hour span because of the Hemp insert that comes with the Thirsties pocket. Sometimes, I find stuffing diapers therapeutic and will stuff away while I veg out on the couch with the TV on while everyone is asleep. Sometimes, I’m not in the mood to stuff inserts into a pocket, so I’m glad that I also have some of the next kind to send to Day Care as well.

All-in-One Diapers
It is not an uncommon site in our house for us to be running 20 minutes late leaving for work and I haven’t even packed the diaper bag. I know, I should pack it the night before, but sometimes, I fall asleep before folding stuffing the diaper laundry. So sending pocket diapers are out of the question. All-in-one’s for the win. I love having bumGenius Freetime on hand to just grab off the drying rack and stick in the diaper bag. They are great for Day Care and Grandparents because they go on just like a disposable. I also love the amount of AIO’s that come in natural fibers. My favorites are the Grovia AIO and Smart Bottoms. A plus is that Smart Bottoms come is such cute colors and prints!

Covers and Prefolds
Lastly, I’m so glad that I took the plunge and tried a few covers and prefolds. Now, it is one of my go to choices for around the house AND our nighttime diaper option! My favorite covers are the Thirsites Duo Wrap and the Rumparooz One Size Cover. Both have leg gussets that hold in any poopxplosions! For night time, I use the premium sized Osocozy Bamboo Prefolds, OR a Grovia Bamboo Prefold wrapped around a Grovia booster. Bamboo is one of my favorite insert choices. It holds a ton of liquid, much more than microfiber. I was intimidated with covers and prefolds at the beginning. But pad folding and laying the prefold right inside a cover couldn’t be easier. Plus I love being able to keep him in one cover all day long, if he doesn’t poop!

So the best advice if you are just starting on your cloth diaper journey, try all the diapers!!

Bio: Stephanie is a full time work at home mom to her 16-month-old son. She loves trying to live as crunchy as possible while enjoying her Starbucks Americano’s with Heavy Cream. She’s mildly obsessed with cloth diapers and binging on Friends reruns on Netflix.


Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

No comments: