Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Like Tweet

Fluff Addict Anonymous; or Not so Anonymous!

My name is Kristi and I’m addicted to fluff. It has been seventeen days since my last delivery. Every day is a struggle to stay on the wagon, to not spend all we have on more fluff. But, with the support of my friends and family…

Okay, okay… so it’s not THAT bad but it HAS been seventeen days since my last fluffy mail delivery. I love shopping online for all the cute fluff I can find. There’s something special and exciting about shopping for fluff, finding a great deal, placing the order, and anxiously waiting for the mailman-excuse me, mail person- to deliver that wonderful package.

My last order was for prefolds and a NEW Thirsties Duo-wrap in Meadow Green. I absolutely couldn’t wait to try it out on my little guy. This cover kits like a glove! Even better was the performance; combined with a prefold and a hemp doubler, it kept him dry all night long. The “high” you get from trying out new diapers is amazing, but it never lasts long enough! I’ll soon need to place another order!

Is there a Fluff Addicts Anonymous out there; a place to go and get much needed help? I’m sure there are other women out there like me, right? Although I haven’t cloth diapered for too long as I started quite late with my daughter (who’s now three years old), I’m hooked! I placed my first order for two bumGenius diapers on the advice of a friend, just before my daughter turned 2 years old and was about to potty train. Those two diapers are all it took to turn me into an addict; my daughter looked too cute in her little pink diapers.

I became a kid in a candy store or a drunk in a bar. There was no stopping me. I researched other cloth diapers. Sure, I liked the bumGenius but I wanted to know more. I learned about diaper covers and prefolds, fitteds and flats, all in ones and pockets. I discovered there were a ton of different brands all begging to be tried! And the prints, the colors! It was all so cute. I had to have them for the next baby.

When I became pregnant with my son nearly a year later I immediately told my husband I wanted to cloth diaper our son. He was skeptical, but as this was our fourth child together, he knew what I was like when I was pregnant; there was no sense in arguing with me as I would never change my mind. He humored me, though I’m sure he thought I’d never stick with it. Over the course of the pregnancy I bought enough diapers to last us five days without washing. Told you I was addicted!

Since having him three very short months ago (man, the time goes fast, doesn’t it?), we’ve discovered our son has very sensitive skin and has been diagnosed with childhood eczema. The cloth diapers are the best thing for him. No need to worry about reactions to chemicals in his diapers; in fact he has fewer diaper rashes than he would if he were in disposables. We’ve only had one really bad rash and that was before we knew he had eczema and how to treat it. Our son loves diaper changes just as much as I do. I lay him on the changing table for a new diaper and the biggest smile spreads across his face; it’s adorable! For that, I’m proud to be a fluff addict!

-- By Kristi S.

34 comments:

Shari@aPsychMommy said...

Aww, your son is so cute! I love how you count the days since your last fluffy mail!

Erin said...

I am pregnant and building my stash, and also of course addicted already. It's so sad to have diapers sitting in my house that I can't use for lack of a small enough bum! :)

Crissy said...

We haven't even been using cloth diapers 6 months yet..and I'm already addicted. In fact a few nights ago.. I had a dream about a cloth diaper I won coming in the mail!! The next day I ordered 2 more diapers online to satisfy my craving. If there is a FAA (Fluff Addict Anonymous)..I don't want to go...because while I admit I'm addicted to fluff...it's definitely not a problem lol..right?

Swear'n Mommy said...

I'd like to know how you take care of the child eczema issue. I started tonight making my own wipe solution, with tea tree & lavender oil, distilled water & olive oil and using cloth wipes, instead of store bought wipes. We ordered the bumgenius organics, and they can't get here quick enough. I am at a loss for ideas... diaper creams didn’t work because it not a diaper rash, its eczema and I’ve tried using the eczema cream I use, but it just aggravated it more. She keeps trying to itch it, so there are open cuts, and it's just horrible looking! I just want to make her comfortable, she is miserable! :(

dannyscotland said...

My daughter has eczema, too, and I love that her diapers don't aggravate it. The only diaper rashes she's had were when she wore disposables a very few times.

I'm addicted, too. I ordered some Smartipants and I'm dying for them to get here!

Adeleide said...

Like you I want to try all the brands out there!!!! I've only tried pockets i'm really interested in trying fitteds but they are more expensive with the cover :(

Sam's Minions (aka parents- Angie and Brian) said...

I'm becoming one too. Can I join FAA?

Sarah Suzy said...

how great that the cloth helps his eczema and that you were already using them! Your little guy is So cute!

hosiewosie said...

Oh man I remember when my LO liked diaper changes, now she's mobile and there's no holding her back! I can still manage a prefold though- gotta be quick. I just got a duo too and love it!

Ashley said...

Your son is so cute! Glad the cloth diapers make him more comfortable!

TeamOSM said...

I just ordered my first fluff...three bG OS pockets. I am anxiously awaiting my package arrival! I also bought some prefolds and some Bummis SWW, and those are on their way, too. Where IS that darn mailperson, I wonder?

I can see I am quickly becoming an addict!

thejepps said...

I'd definitely call myself an addict as well. Thinking about trying out fitteds, but I'm afraid that will open a huge, costly can of worms!

Erin said...

Online shopping is addictive enough... the thrill of having a package on your doorstep when you get home is like nothing else.. but add cloth diapers into the mix, and its an absolute high!

Cloth Diaperer Extraordinaire said...

Strough72: I personally have severe eczema, especially on my hands - which doesn't help since I have to touch everything (soaps, detergents, hair shampoo/conditioner)...

While I'm sure Kristi and some otherm moms who have little ones with childhood eczema can offer some feedback for getting it under control - you will likely find the introduction of cloth will greatly help any issues in the diapering area.

However, it's also helpful if you try and determine if your little one doesn't happen to have particular triggers such as food sensitivities that are causing the reaction (some children are allergic/sensitive to wheat/gluten, etc... and this can exacerbate the eczema).

My former LLL leader's daughter was very allergic to a variety of things and she was forced to cut them out of her own diet in order to continue breastfeeding because the crossover from the milk was even too much for her little one and it causes major reactions.

I, too, personally notice my eczema flares up more so when I come in contact with certain things - for instance - I can eat spinach but touching it causes a major reaction!

So try and keep this in mind!

Jennifer said...

Hello, my name is Jennifer, and I too am a Fluff Addict. I freely admit it, and my husband just laughs. Hey, we'd be spending at least this much on disposables.... So, what can you do? I'm so happy to see so many other moms with the same "problem" I have. :)

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

i could be a member of FAA too...wish i had more money so i NEVER had to be on the wagon. your son is so handsome too!

Julia said...

My name is Julie and I'm a fluff addict. It's been three hours since my last fluff delivery.

Is it sad that I'm a little bummed that my daughter will very likely be potty trained in the next eight months??

Erin said...

I also need to be a member of Fluff Addicts, I always just need one more! (or two or three or pink or green or...)

Sarahjenne said...

Great pics! I'm counting the days until my next shipment arrives! Then it's back on the wagon!

Anonymous said...

I am also a fluff addict. I buy new diaper any time I have extra money. I also a a little high when I get new ones..Can any one tell me why we are so much into cloth?

12566 said...

Hello. My name is Amanda and I am an addict. :p

Becky said...

This makes me laugh! Too funny. I totally agree though. My most recent fluff mail came today, I can't wait to put them on him!

Upstatemamma said...

I am a total addict too :)

Anna said...

Yes, it's definitely addicting! I love seeing other mamas so excited about cloth diapers :)

Kristi26 said...

Strough72- To deal with our eczema issues, I do several things. First, I use all cloth diapers and wipes. The wipes are kept in a wipes warmer with only water. I don't add any kind of soap or oil or anything. I think it would irritate him. Also, he's been to the dermatologist who prescribed some ointments for him to use during breakouts. We also bathe him in Dove soap (and use Dove shampoo) as it doesn't bother him and apply Lubriderm lotion afterward as that one doesn't bother him. I hope that helps!

Kristi26 said...

Shari, thanks! I think he's pretty cute too! :P

Kristi26 said...

Sam and his parents- You're in! :D

Anonymous said...

My son's head to toe (and I'm not kidding) eczema was a direct result of the nuts I ate while he was breastfeeding. Once nuts were eliminated completely, no eczema, at all. We went four times to a dermatologist and he could not get it under control. One trip to the allergist and a tweak to my diet produced incredible results. I know this may not be the culprit for all eczema but it was for us.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, but I'd also like to hear stories of moms who are fluff addicts but keep costs down by playing the How Much Can I Save game. For instance, I registered for cloth diapers, use prefolds/covers and one-size dipes, try to win diapers on blog contests, and look for sales. I would love to hear other people's tips. Cloth diapering saves so much money already, but why stop there? :)

Laura C

laurakcowan/at/gmail/dot/com

Kim Day said...

My son is 2 months old and I am already addicted too! Glad to know it's not just me- lol!

Rachael said...

totally addicted their soo soft and look amazing on my two keep telling my husband at each order this will be enough then next month telling him how I just need to buy another cover or whatever lol

Penelope said...

Looks like you have plenty of members.... better start organizing that FAA group! Love your post! Kept me laughing as well as made me wish I had considered Fluff as an alternative... but no more little ones in this house!

* said...

I love fluff! Although I have only gotten my baby boy 4 so far...

Shelly said...

It IS addictive!!! Baby isn't even here yet, and I'm totally addicted to buying and researching:-)