Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Like Tweet

Cloth Diaper A Newborn?

From the moment I found out I was expecting my first child, I knew I wanted to cloth diaper. Well, easier said than done. There are so many options out there. I spent 9 months researching everything about cloth diapers, and I still didn’t know how was I supposed to choose what was best for my son. Thankfully, I had Closet and their reviews to help me on my adventure.

First things first, all diapers fit babies differently, so this is my story about my 7 pounds 11 ounces, 19 inch long son.

Our first try was lil’ joeys by Rumparooz. I read many reviews of how amazing they were. I knew this would be the diapers for us! They have adorable prints and were so small. I was only six pounds at birth, so I felt I was destined to have small children. Well, my son wasn’t very small and unfortunately, the fit was just not right on our son. They leaked every single time we put them on. They aim for smaller babies and our son had chunky thighs and a thin waist. These are great diapers, but only if you have a really small baby. If only we could predict that!!

Next, we tried the Thirsties xs cover with the Kissaluvs size 0 fitted. This worked very well for us. In fact, this was my husband’s favorite. It never leaked, dried quickly, and kept my babies bum very dry. I would recommend this for any average sized baby. This diaper combo worked for my son until he was 10 weeks old. Sadly, he outgrew them and we moved onto one size diapers. These diapers would probably fit up to 3 months on most babies!

In addition, we used the bumGenius XS. This was the favorite for grandparents, a very easy AIO. We had the hook and loop, so it was “just like a disposable” for those use to it. This was my least favorite for many reasons. First, they are pretty expensive for a sized diaper. Second, they also take a really, really long time to dry. However, the biggest downfall was that these diapers only fit my son for 3 weeks. For how much they cost, I do not feel like I got my money’s worth.

Last, and my favorite, is the Happy Heinys Mini. I liked this diaper the most because it had the hook and loop closure which made customizing the fit of the diaper easy. Most importantly, it had a pocket. I liked that I could stuff this as needed. This was not much of an issue for my son in his first few weeks, but as he grew, this diaper fit him the longest, so it was nice that I could put bamboo, microfiber, or hemp in it. They also dry very fast! In fact, we were still using this diaper at 12 weeks, and I can’t say that for the other “newborn” diapers.

Now, you find the right type of diaper, but how many do you need? Oh boy! I had 3 Thirsties covers, 10 Kissaluvs size 0, 5 bumGenius xs, 4 Happy Heinys mini, and 6 lil’ joeys. Of course, we didn’t use our lil’ joeys, so we had about 20 in our rotation. I washed every 1 ½ days. I had enough diaper to wash in a day and have a few to spare for the next rotation. Boy do newborns go through diapers quickly!

All in all, I would say my favorite diaper on my newborn was the Happy Heinys Mini. It fit my son the longest, and fit him well at the beginning (even with the cord), so we have really gotten our money’s worth.

The best advice I can give is to choose a variety to try and see what works for you. Unfortunately, ever baby is different. I know, not what you want to hear, but sadly it is true. The best part is you can re-sale any diaper that doesn’t work for you and buy the ones you love!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I used cloth when my daughter was a newborn. We had around 20 XS Fuzzibunz and 4 Thirsties size 1 Duos. It wasn't as bad as I expected at all. I did laundry every other day or so and we never had a blowout. I bought most of my XS stash secondhand, so it wasn't a huge cost investment, either.

Erin G said...

I hve a newborn right now, and I am also LOVING the happy heinys mini one-size. I didn't love the bigger OS when I first started CD'ing (with my second child) but I'm glad I gave these minis a shot. They're awesome. And they have great resale value too (just check diaperswappers, etc) so I'm glad I made the investment in them!

This is one of the clearer newborn CDing posts I've read! Good post, thanks. :)

Jut and Chris said...

I had a large baby...9 lbs 11 ozs and we used our Kissuluvs size 0 for almost 3 full months. They were well worth the $$ for our little guy. Isn't it crazy how all little ones are so different?

Great post on diapering the newborn!