Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Monday, April 23, 2012

Like Tweet

Both Ends of the Spectrum

We didn’t switch to cloth diapers until my oldest was almost 2.5 years old (and still in diapers).  So, needless to say the switch wasn’t something our families expected.  It wasn’t even something my husband expected.  But, he was willing to let me do what I wanted since I already changed most of the diapers.

Less than two months after we switched to cloth we traveled on the in-laws.  I asked before we went if they would have a problem with us using cloth while we were there.  My mother-in-law had no problems at all, although she had no clue how cloth diapers had changed.  She had used cloth on my husband and his closest brother, but she had used disposables with the younger siblings.  She asked if I needed a wet pail and other “chemicals” that they used 30+ years ago.  I quickly explained that all I needed was to use the washing machine.  Since they have an old fashion top loader for “work” clothes, it wasn’t an issue at all.

When we got there, I think they were surprised at how different modern cloth diapers are.  Recently I heard my mother-in-law talking about our decision to cloth diaper.  She was telling other family members how different they were from what she had used.  She was more than willing to use them when she was visiting almost 8 months ago when our youngest was born.  She even helped wash some for me while I was at the hospital delivering her (I started a load as soon as I went into labor so there would be clean ones when we got home).

On the other end of the spectrum is my parents.  My mom doesn’t understand really why we cloth diaper.  She is all about convenience, so it isn’t surprising at all.  When we go see them (about twice a year), she offers to buy disposables for us.  Since we are only gone 4 days, two of those in a car, I normally let her buy disposables.  I don’t want to spend half of our time with them at a Laundromat washing diapers, and I don’t want to let diapers sit for more than three days.  Luckily my kids don’t react to disposables.  And the next time we go my kids will be in (cloth) swim diapers about half of the time probably too.

A few other random things involving the grandparents:
  • My mother-in-law thinks the origami fold for flats is intimidating, yet she made her own flats and used pins with her first two kids.
  • Every time my parents come to visit, my mom assumes my kids’ fluffy rears are because they need a diaper change.  I have to “nicely” remind her that they are in cloth and their diapers don’t change size as a sign of needing changed.
  • My husband still doesn’t love cloth diapers, but he doesn’t complain when he has to do a change (when I am out of the house).  And he is more than willing to tell others that we do use them.
So, even if you get some interesting responses from family about your decision, stick with it!  We have been cloth diapering for almost 2 years now, and I love it!

Bio:  Stephanie is a mom to three kids – 4, 2, and 7 months old.  She is a WAHM who started using cloth apprehensively when her oldest was 2.5 years old and now is an advocate for cloth.

No comments: