Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Like Tweet

A Mother's Love... The Story of My Son Pooing in My Hand

There are so many things that I never, ever thought that I would do…that is until I had a baby. Pick boogers out of a kids nose? No way. But I sure do it now. Dunk an EBF cloth diaper in the toilet? That would have made me dry heave before, but I don’t even think twice before doing it now. Then one day I did the unthinkable...

My son was 8 weeks old when we started cloth diapering him. One day, a few weeks into cloth diapering, my husband, son, and I were out and about running errands. I could tell my son was getting hungry so I fed him in the car in the parking lot and while doing so I could hear some noises in his little belly…then in his pants. I figured, not a big deal, I will just change him in the car when he is done eating. Any mom who has exclusively breast fed a baby knows what EBF poo looks like and that is sticky mud. I go to change the little guys diaper and that is what it was full of. Ew. Whatever, I’m used to it at this point. I got my wipes out (I was still using disposable wipes at this time) and realized that I only had 5 wipes and a baby with a very nasty bum. Okay, I could make this work. As I am using the last wipe I saw a little more poo coming out…then more…then some more. Well, I was NOT expecting that and was scrambling around trying to find something to catch it with because a) he was in the back of my husband’s car and b) I did not put down a changing pad (shame on me). As I realize that I had no other options I did something I never in my life thought I would do…I just put my hand under his bum and caught the poo. And you know what? It really didn’t bother me much. My husband was gagging behind me and I am asking him for a bag, a towel, SOMETHING so that I could get the poo off of my hand. I finally remembered that I had an extra pre-fold in my wet bag and wow was that a lifesaver! Once we got the new diaper on I ran into the store we were going in and washed my hands immediately then went on with our day. I know that someday I will tell my son this story and embarrass the heck out of him, but maybe he will realize that what it really means is that I will do anything for him.

Moral of the story: always carry an extra pre-fold or flat diaper because in case of an emergency they can clean up some nasty messes.

10 comments:

Liz said...

Isn't that always the way? Worst poo with five wipes left. I often wonder how many of the stories we will remember and embarrass our children with will involve poo. When Silas was 3 weeks old it was Mike's night to "help the baby" when he woke up. Mike's a heavy sleeper, so Si woke me up and I woke up Mike (kind of defeats the purpose). Mike got up to change his diaper and I heard cussing. What happened? He peed on me. I shrugged. Then there was louder cussing. What happened? A stream of poo shot from our loving child onto our bed and frame. I laugh about it now (I'm laughing right now) but then, it was cuss worthy.

Great idea about the extra prefold, and I'd add some hand sanitizer too!

Beth said...

I still tease my son because he peed in my eye when he was a baby.

Christine said...

We didn't get so lucky with our first surprising poo incident... at least it was contained (to your hand!). we were unaware (being new parents) that it could squirt.... and it did. 1/2 way across our bedroom, covering our bed!

Anonymous said...

I could tell lots of stories about this and also catching vomit.....LOL! Oh, the horrid, absolutely disgusting things we get to do as parents for the love of our kids!

Upstatemamma said...

This I have not done but last year we were in Disney World my daughter peed on me while we were waiting to see Fantasmic. And I was not able to do anything at all. I had to stand there through the whole thing with pee all over me and her. And now it is this funny story.

Unknown said...

My husband was showered by "the golden fountain" during that magical moment when one of our twins was being transferred from a state of nakedness on our bath mat to the tub tub.

Way to go on catching the poo mommy!

Wazka815 said...

A wonderful mom story! I could see myself doing the same thing! My husband would be just the same as in the story! I had a water birth and right after my son was born and I was holding him (we were still inn the water), he pooped all over me! But I was so caught up in the moment I didn't even care!

Amanda said...

As a photographer I've been pooed on by other's babies! And my son peed in my face during a dipe change... oh the joys! We have earned our stripes for sure! :)

Brittany H said...

or some extra wipes. hahaha that's the funniest story ever. If you're ever a "good mom" convention tell that story, you'll win for sure.

Oh the love of a mother. I can't wait to have my kiddo and do stuff like that!

Sarah said...

Luckily for me our first "poo squirt" incident happened while we were still newbies in the NICU with our preemie. I was kinda embarrassed (especially since I didn't know what I was doing yet) but the nurses didn't seem at all surprised. Plus, the bonus, I didn't have to do the laundry it created! Great story.