Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Like Tweet

Color Coding Your Cloth

To take cloth diapering one step further, I implemented a color coding system in our household to make it easier for my husband or a caregiver to know what to use when. My 20-month-old has become quite the heavy wetter so putting her to bed for the night in a pre-fold or single-stuffed pocket would be…messy. Since I already had a variety of colors of cloth diapers and my stash somehow continues to grow as my daughter gets closer and closer to potty training, I figured I might as well put the various colors to good use. I wash the diapers every other day so I didn't need to have a ton of one specific color.

Green means "go" for naptime in our house! The first thing I reach for are either of the green Thirsties Duo Fitted diapers I own. These are awesome for naps, and what I especially love is how you can stuff them for extra absorbency. I've even used these at night when I've added two extra inserts, and though the diaper is saturated in the morning the pajamas are not. I pair these with any of the covers that I own - Thirsties, Rumparooz, or Sweet Pea and haven't had a single leak. Another safe bet for naps is the bumGenius 4.0. Since my daughter doesn't nap for more than two hours we can get by with just one insert…for now. I will also use a bumGenius Elemental I have in Ribbit, but it was dirty during this photo shoot. I do lay a fleece liner on it for naps though to keep my daughter more comfortable, but that is the only time I do.

Since it gets dark at night, I chose our darkest diapers for nighttime. They gray/silver Rumparooz pockets work well for us. I use the 6r soaker that comes with each diaper, along with a hemp insert. I add either the BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey Bunz, or the BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey Bunz Premium (which is a bit thinner but equally absorbent), or the Thirsties Stay Dry Duo Insert.

For around the house, we use prefolds, but when we're out and about any of our non-green or gray pockets are fair game. Now there's no surprises for me if I go out for a girl's night and leave my husband in charge!

Ann J. is a cloth diaper fanatic and mom to a 20-month-old girl with the cutest cloth diaper but on the block!

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Great suggestion! My stash for our 3 month old isn't big enough to do that just yet, but I will keep that in mind when I make the next purchase.

Jenney said...

How do you keep the smell down from nighttime diapering? The ammonia smell just kills me. I don't have a leak issue...just a keel over and die and eyes all watery issue. Any tips?

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! We have tons of similar colors of BG, etc., and this would make things so much easier for our babysitter, grandparents, etc. to have the diapers color-coded for nap or bedtime. Thanks for sharing!