- Before you book a hotel, check out condo/townhouse/house rentals on sites like airbnb or vrbo. We’ve been able to find rentals that not only have a kitchen and separate bedrooms (which is great if you want to stay up past 7 or 8pm!) but also have laundry machines in the units. That way, we can do laundry on the trip without having to waste vacation time hunting down or sitting in a Laundromat.
- If you are going to be staying somewhere with laundry, measure out your detergent beforehand or buy/collect individual sample size packets. We use bumGenius detergent, so I bought a 10-pack of the sample size packets before our last big trip. That way, I didn’t have to worry about any of the soap spilling out in my luggage or forgetting my measuring cup.
- If you aren’t staying somewhere with access to laundry, try using covers and disposable inserts. For our trip to Punta Cana, we packed six Flip covers and a few packs of Flip disposable inserts. (Other companies, like GroVia, also make disposable inserts as well.) We did find that we needed to change his diaper more often when using disposable inserts, but we were happy with the absorbency.
As a bonus, Flips can serve as a swim diaper, if you don’t already have one!
- Pack lots of wetbags – one for the plane/car, one for the suitcase, one for the diaper bag, etc. We use the Planet Wise wet/dry bags because they are easy just to grab and go; you have all of your clean diapers and wipes in the front pocket, and you can put all of your dirty diapers in the main pouch. We also bring 1-2 of the large hanging wetbags to keep at the hotel/house.
- Similarly, especially for the car or plane ride, pack more diapers in your wet/dry bag than you think you will need! In the car, you don’t want to have to pull over to dig through your suitcases to find extras when your kid dirties more diapers than you expected. And, of course, you won’t even have that option on a plane!
Also – and unfortunately – it is not possible to us to just buy a new pack of diapers at the 7/11 or a grocery store!
Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us