Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Like Tweet

Brand Loyalty: An Ever-Changing and Unexpected Love Affair

I secretly cringe whenever I see the "If you could only have one brand of diapers what would it be?" posts on Facebook. Not that I don't enjoy a sort of stranded-on-a-desert-island type question, but why do we have to choose? The cloth diaper industry makes it easy for us to customize our stashes to accommodate a variety of scenarios. During my time cloth diapering over the past three years, I would have answered the question differently at each stage.

When my oldest was born, I was not only figuring out the cloth diapering scene but also the mothering one, and at that time I was so thankful for my Tots Bots Easy Fits. They were trim and so, so easy to use; though I had bumGenius 4.0s that I liked, I was smitten with my Tots Bots. After a few months, though, I would say that I loved the BGs and Tots the same, and yet I had a new crush. . . Oh Katy! I loved Oh Katys' colors and that the pocket opened in the front and that the pocket was so big that I could quadruple stuff that bad boy creating the only night time diaper that would keep my baby dry. Then, as noted in a previous blog post, the Oh Katys no longer held up for night time, and I soon sang the praises of my s'bish OBFs and wool. My baby was once again dry all night.

Yet, on a cross-country road trip, I fell in love with my Blueberry flats and Flip covers because they made laundry easier and there were less diapers (because I could reuse the covers) in my wet bag. Then, after my oldest turned one, then I, oh baby, I fell in love with my Blueberry One Size Simplex diapers. I could use them as is or stuff them with more protection. I could have cotton or stay dry against his bum depending on what I wanted at the time. For a long while the Blueberry diapers stuffed with Joey Bunz Premium inserts were the only diaper I could trust not to leak. I was ready to sell everything else and just buy stock in Blueberry. . . until, I got a free GroVia AIO in one of my Kelly's Closet orders and then it was all over. . .my heart was only for GroVia. Those diapers didn't need any other inserts to keep in the massive waterfalls my now toddler son was capable of unleashing. I would gush when I talked about those gems. That was until my HE washer combined with my super hard water made it virtually impossible to keep them clean. I was heartbroken...until I rediscovered my Blueberry flats and my Flip Organic inserts and my Flip covers, and then I was in love again.

And that, my fellow cloth diapering mamas, was only the roller-coaster ride of diaper love for my oldest son. My youngest son and I would have a different story to tell, one that begins with Kissaluv size 0 fitteds and Rumparooz pockets. Who knows how his diaper love story will progress, but I can guarantee that the real heros of the story -- my Thirsties inserts won't get the same Facebook post air time that the flashy pockets and all-in-ones will get. If truth be told, those inserts have filled every one of the diapers I have mentioned above from covers to pockets to AIOs -- there isn't a diaper I haven't boosted with a Thirsties insert, and so, though it isn't flashy or fashionable or really even fun, I must honestly say that I would be lost without those (now) ridiculously ratty, unbelievably tough, super absorbent inserts that have ushered me through three years of diapering and are expected to guide me through the years to come.

Bio: Emily Robbins currently lives in San Antonio, Texas, with her husband and two sons: Harper (2 years) and Caedmon (9 months). She has been cloth diapering since Harper fit into OS at about four weeks old. She teaches World Literature at the University of the Incarnate Word and hangs out with her fluffy bottomed boys.


Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

No comments: