Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Like Tweet

Cloth Diapers You Are My Muse

I grew up in Northwest Indiana in a typical middle class family. I was the oldest of 3 children and both sets of grandparents were close by. My childhood was a pretty vanilla. My parents stayed married until I graduated from college, my siblings and I fought normally, we lived in a nice house and both parents worked. We wouldn’t have been a reality a show. When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter I thought back to what my mother taught me and I kept thinking and thinking. My mother did the best that she could possibly do, but from as far back as I can remember she never took the time to teach me anything. My dad taught me to drive and ride a bike. My friends taught me how to put make-up on and do my hair. Maybe that is what she taught me…to figure it out for myself. I am pretty resourceful and not afraid to ask questions.

I started to cloth diaper full time about four months ago and I have learned so much in these four months. Not just about cloth diapering, but about being a mother. I can’t believe how talented and inspiring mothers can be. For instance, Tereson Dupuy of FuzziBunz, Kelly Wels a leading cloth diaper advocate/expert, Carrie Peterson of Mud Butt Diapers or Maria Hill of Cotton Cheeks Diapers each woman had a different reason for doing what they do and whether they know it or not they have taught their children something. It could be that working hard can get you places, maybe they will/have learned to sew or it could be being a mom with a purpose makes for the best mom. It is just not these women. If you look on Esty or Hyenacart every mom is doing her part to contribute to the family by being passionate about something. Children see that passion and they want to emulate it. Ladies you are doing wonderful things for yourself, your family and other moms. It is unbelievably inspiring and please keep doing what you are doing!

Seeing all these talented women out there made me want to be able to teach my daughters something. I am currently looking at getting a beginners sewing machine; not to make cloth diapers, but maybe some cloth wipes or unpaper towels. Maybe I can learn how to make a Halloween costume or fix my husband’s suits. I have also become a better cook and I have my 18 month old cracking eggs in a bowl. I have to stop her from licking the egg shell, but she is learning. Morgan and I planted some carrots and onions the other day and we go out every afternoon to water them and watch them grow. I want to be able to pass something on to my girls. I want them to learn from me.

Looking back my mother was afraid to do a lot. She never rode a bike, was afraid to take a risk and refused to drive in downtown Chicago. What this taught me was to learn to ride a bike, I have taken many risks and failed and driving in downtown Chicago isn’t all that hard. Maybe, being who she is made me who I am. I know she did the best she could and that is all a child could ask for. I should mention that my mother and I no longer have a relationship. It has been strained for quite some time and I decided the best thing to do for my family was to walk away. Maybe that is the first lesson I will teach my girls…that it is okay to walk away even if it hurts.

Bio: Liz McGarraugh is a 35 year old SAHM of an 18 month old little girl Morgan and is currently pregnant with a second little girl due in July. She has been married to her loving husband for almost 3 years and currently resides in Katy, TX with her cat Otto and dog Buddy The Elf.

No comments: