Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Monday, April 9, 2012

Like Tweet

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, - I'm a Cloth Diaper Advocate

One of the first major decisions I made after finding out I was pregnant was whether or not to use cloth diapers. I really didn’t know anything about them, but I liked the thought of saving so much money, so I decided to investigate it further. Thankfully, I had some amazing friends who were already cloth mamas, and they were more than willing to answer any and all of my questions about cloth.

Little did I know, when I started that Facebook conversation with these two friends over a year ago, that I would become one of the biggest cloth diaper advocates I know.

I drank the Kool-Aid

Once I discovered the new types of cloth diapers, I was pretty much convinced that cloth would be the way to go for us. With money savings as my main motivator, I started to do more research on them, and slowly but surely, I became hooked. There were so many choices! Pocket Diapers! All-in-Ones! Hemp Inserts! Hybrid Diaper Systems! The choices were seemingly endless. I was all-in.

The more I read about cloth diapers, the more I realized that these were such a great solution for so many moms out there. But, being the realistic, cynical, “don’t-tell-me-what-to-do-you-crazy-hippie” type mom, I kept my new obsession secret from many people. The facebook conversation I started with my two friends was my outlet to talk about all things fluff.

The Power of Social Media

Then, one day, my endless packages of diapers arrived. I was in love! The first thing I did was post a picture on Facebook of my stash. That got the ball rolling. Soon, other friends of mine were coming out of the woodwork, asking about cloth diapers and how they work. I was more than happy to share my thoughts and findings with them.

As my fluffy obsession grew, I realized how much of a difference using cloth would be – not just on my wallet, but on the health of my baby, and on the environment in general. I started sharing this information with other moms-to-be, providing them with information so they could make a more educated decision about switching to cloth. I showed them not only how much money they could save, but that cloth was safer for the baby, and that most people have fewer blowouts with cloth (this was a big deal-sealer with all of those “but what about the POOP?!?” people).

Building My Army of Cloth Mamas

So far, after becoming a cloth diaper advocate, I’ve converted at least one, if not two, mamas to the fluffy fold. They see my constant posts on various cloth diaper facebook pages, and have started asking me questions about why I decided to go with cloth. I have to try very hard not to overwhelm them with my enthusiasm – a crazy cloth mama doesn’t attract many skeptics. But, with both anecdotal information and statistics at my side, I show them the positives of cloth, and help them to reach the decision that’s right for them.

My Dream Job

Someday, I hope to become a Cloth Diaper Consultant, meeting with new moms and moms-to-be to talk about cloth diapers. I’ve already had a few get-togethers with moms, so they can see the different brands of diapers that I personally use and get my opinions on them. But I doubt a consultant’s salary would pay for my fluff obsession!

Wanna learn more about cloth diapers? I’m your girl.

Jennifer S. is a mom of a wonderful baby girl, and one of the loudest cloth diaper advocates on Facebook. She lives in Minnesota with her husband, baby, and cat, and works in Marketing.

No comments: