Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Like Tweet

The wonderful world of prefolds!

I have to admit the most I ever used prefolds in regards to cloth diapering was as added stuffing for night time. I didn't start cloth diapering my son till he fit in pockets and, well, I love pockets so that is what I stuck with. My sister gave me box full of prefolds when she found out I was pregnant so we had a bagillion just laying around. I started using them for whatever I could because I felt bad if they just sat there.

One of my favorite uses for them was as burp cloths. They are so soft I didn't feel bad rubbing little mans face with it and they are very absorbent so nothing got by them. I used to keep one in every room of the house with an added one on either side of the couch just for in-cases. I also kept a handful in the diaper bag for when we were out and about. I don't know what I would have done if I had not had those diapers at every turn. I got fortunate and my son never really spit up but he did dribble milk down his cheek and he would spit up on occasion. Some times they also had to double as snot catchers :P

A new found love of prefolds was sparked last night when my son pulled my husbands glass of water off the table and spilled it on the carpet. The first thing I could reach happened to be a prefold and so I laid it down on the spill and started trying to soak up water. I had the whole thing open on the spill and I was pressing on the whole thing to try and cover more ground. As I pulled it up I saw the area the absorbent middle strip is pulled up so much water the carpet was almost dry! It was also still very dry feeling so I kept using it till the water was all soaked up and it still didn't feel very wet. I was pretty impressed.

Aside from the normal uses like a dust rag or dish drying rag (I do that too and it works great!) we put a prefold under our cutting board to keep it in one place. I felt pretty proud of myself when I came up with that one. We used to keep putting towels under the cutting board when we were going to use it but I got a hair brained idea one day and through a prefold under there instead. It fit perfectly! You can't see there is anything under the board and it stays in place when we use it! Victory!

It seems like every day I find some new ways to use prefolds and it makes me so happy to see things like that getting reused. I know my time as a mama is just beginning so maybe my list f of prefold uses is just getting started. :D

Bio: Jessie is a working mom to a wonderful little one year old.

No comments: