Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Monday, June 17, 2013

Like Tweet

A Rookie’s Nighttime Solution

I feel like I started Cloth Diapering backwards and you could probably agree with me.  I started CDing when my daughter was about 15 months old.  She was in disposables from the day she was born and until recently, GASP, I started moving her into a more of a nighttime cloth diaper routine.  I have to say that I was petrified of cloth diapers at night.  What was I mostly scared of?  That she would wake up in the middle of the night crying, disturbing my already broken up pregnancy sleep, and I would have to change her pjs, diaper, sheets, etc.  How selfish am I? HA! Yes my husband could also get up and change it all, but let’s face it mommies, we like to take control in these matters.

Well, lo and behold she still leaked through her heavy wetter disposables. Yikes! At least once a week, I would change her morning diaper and there were these little chemical crystals everywhere.  Really gross and scary to think that was on my daughter’s skin.  My temporary solution for the leaking?  I placed a waterproof cover over the disposable.  Seemed to work, but I was still not thrilled.

So after much research, I decided to start nixing the disposables at night and I placed a few orders for night-time solutions.  THANKS KC!  So here goes my 2 options that have successfully worked for me:

Option #1: KaWaii Goodnight Heavy Wetter One-Sized Cloth Diaper

The KaWaii comes with 2 very long and thick microfiber inserts. During naptime, I would probably just stick with the 2 microfiber inserts, but it becomes very bulky.  So instead, I just use:

  • 1 of the microfiber inserts
  • BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz Premium When I stuff, I make sure that the microfiber is closest to the baby’s skin, then the hemp right below just because I’ve read that other mommies do that since it absorbs a lot and slowly. 
  • Since my daughter does have very sensitive skin, I use a cloth diaper safe balm and I also use a Bummis Fleece Liner. The liner wicks away any of the moisture and in the morning, her bum is so dry!
My daughter is also a tummy sleeper so I really do appreciate how the KaWaii sits flat on her tummy without it flipping forward.

Option #2: bumGenius 4.0 One-Size Stay Dry Cloth Diaper

I’ve only tried this once and I was a little nervous about it, but it worked!

How I stuffed:
I also have a Kissaluvs Organic Fitted Diaper, but have only used it during nap times. I used a diaper cover and she still seemed to leak through.  I have a feeling I didn’t put it on tight enough up top.  We will try again and hopefully prevail!

My daughter goes to sleep between 7-7:30pm.  In the past, we would give her almond milk closer to her bedtime.  Now I give it to her around 4:30-5:30pm and I have noticed a big difference in the amount of pee at night.  Let’s see if we can keep that up.

Now the whole irony of this all?  I learned a lot about night-time CDing a toddler, now I’m going to be cding a newborn any day now, so here goes CDing 101 again!

Til next time - Happy Dry Heiny’s!

Bio: Kat Castro lives in Queens, NY and is a full time stay at home mommy to her 17 month year old toddler and She is expecting her 2nd baby girl in May 2013. In her spare time, she cooks, cleans, and writes on her personal blog: mammapanada.com



Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

No comments: