Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Like Tweet

One Size Cloth Organization with an Extra-Small Budget

Our main reason for choosing to use cloth has been to save money. So it should come as no surprise that when it came to diaper organization, thriftiness was kept in mind. We spend the majority of our day in our family room so that’s where many of the hasty diaper changes occur. We keep the bulk of our stash in the hallway just outside the family room. The diapers are easily accessible in bins on a wall shelf, along with an organized tote to carry all the essentials for a quick change.

The fabric bins were found at the dollar store. They measure 6” wide X 10” deep X 6” high. I can fit roughly six double stuffed diapers in each. In an effort to make it easier to grab what we want quickly, I try to organize each bin by what it contains (for the sake of my sanity, we’ll pretend that my husband listens when I tell him what style of diaper is in each bin). As an example, my four bins pictured below left to right are 1. pockets with single inserts & swim diapers 2. Velcro closure 3. pockets with double inserts 4. Prefold/flats/fitteds/covers.

The bins hide the diapers perfectly on the wall shelf in our basement hallway, and we simply take down a diaper and toss it in the changing tote when it’s time for a change.

We received this 31 tote as a shower present with our first child, but never really found a use for it and it was banished to the closet for years. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly what made me think of this tote when I was looking to organize our cloth diaper supplies, but it has done its job. I used this, because we had it at the ready, but there is no shortage of totes that cost a fraction of the price and would do the job just as well.

The tote contains an assortment of diapering necessities. The large middle section has a foldup changing pad, cloth wipes stored in one of those “free” containers that you get from buying $25 worth of disposable baby wipes. One mesh side pocket contains a small bottle with wipe solution (or water), sample sized CJ’s Butter (we don’t frequently need it, but I like having it handy), and things for fastening diapers. The other pocket contains disposable liners and stay dry liners…nail clippers and a bulb syringe, because let’s be honest, it’s never more obvious that your kid has a boogie than when their sweet little face is looking up at you during a diaper change…and after going to war to get rid of that boogie it’s even more obvious that their finger nails need clipped.

We also try to keep things simple in the laundry room. We have a swing top trash can and pail liner for storing diapers until wash day. I have a dollar store bucket in the utility sink that dirty diapers go in until I have time to rinse them out before they too go in the pail. For drying pockets and covers, I use a simple retractable clothes line. No smells, very little maintenance, and most importantly, very little investment make cloth diapering simpler than I previously had imagined. I love knowing that we’re saving so much money without having invested much just to keep our cloth diapers neat.

Bio: Jamie lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and is the mother of 2 boys. In her spare time she enjoys doing crafts, home improvement projects, and gardening.


Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hey, I really liked your article. I also feel that cloth diapers are very cost effective. Not only that but my kid really feels comfortable and it does not cause any diaper rashes also. I have purchased a lot from there and always felt to buy more and more!! Thanks for the write up. it was informative!"

Anonymous said...

"Hey, I really liked your article. I also feel that cloth diapers are very cost effective. Not only that but my kid really feels comfortable and it does not cause any diaper rashes also. I have purchased a lot from there and always felt to buy more and more!! Thanks for the write up. it was informative!"

Sarah Keller said...

Great organization! It's a smart and practical idea for storage cloths!