Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Monday, March 2, 2015

Like Tweet

Postpartum Product Must-Haves


If you're pregnant, and especially if you're near the end of your pregnancy, you've probably thought about how your postpartum recovery will go. The right products can make all the difference during your adjustment as a new mom. As a mother of two, I've been through two recoveries, both of which were radically different.

One product that has been immeasurably useful is Motherlove's Nipple Cream. Even though I breastfed my first child for 21 months, breastfeeding my little girl has still been a challenge. During those first few weeks, there were tears and pain. A good nipple cream is essential to getting through those periods of pain from sore, cracked nipples. Motherlove has other products, like Motherlove More Milk Plus Capsules, that can help make your breastfeeding journey easier and more enjoyable for you and your baby.

Until your milk supply regulates (usually a few months into breastfeeding) you may leak milk a lot. I've found Bamboobies Overnight Bamboo Fleece & Hemp Nursing Pads to be incredibly absorbent, soft and gentle on sensitive nipples. The disposable type are expensive and scratchy to me, and if you cloth diaper like I do, then you probably prefer a more sustainable option. Reusable nursing pads are great because you can wash them and use them over and over again; you aren't throwing your money away! I'm 8 weeks postpartum and I have gone through a lot of nursing pads. It makes me feel great that I can help my family save even more money by choosing a reusable product that I'll be able to use for future children.

Earth Mama Angel Baby Booby Tubes help in those early days right after your milk comes in. Engorgement is incredibly painful, but this amazing product helps you to keep feeding your baby. Earth Mama Angel Baby Booby Tubes are also wonderful for pumping mamas; they can be warmed up or put in the fridge. When you warm them up, this will aid in let-down if you're having difficulty pumping out breastmilk. When they're cool, Booby Tubes also help numb the pain of engorgement.

That first time nursing in public can be incredibly nerve-wracking; at least it was for me! The Itzy Ritzy Nursing Happens Infinity Breastfeeding Scarf helps you breastfeed discreetly, if you choose to cover. I love that it's a really cute scarf in addition to a breastfeeding cover.

Pink Daisy Stay Dry Postpartum Feminine Pads are a reusable alternative to disposable menstrual pads that you can keep using after the postpartum period when you resume normal menstruation. They come in different, cute colors and prints and Pink Daisy makes an organic cotton option as well! I made the switch to reusable menstrual pads before I became pregnant with my second child, and I'm never going back to disposable pads.

Although I won't call it essential, a woven wrap from Tula has been a lifesaver for me and my baby. My daughter is more of a high needs baby than my son was, and the woven wrap helps calm her down and lull her to sleep in the evenings. Babywearing in general is wonderful, especially when you have more than one child. You're able to keep your baby close while having your hands free to tend to your other children or household chores. Woven wraps also allow you to do skin-to-skin with your newborn, which also aids in milk production. See? Win-win!

What products were helpful to you during your postpartum recovery?

Bio: Mary is a stay-at-home mother of two. She has a degree in English and Latin, and she enjoys reading, writing and advocating for cloth diapers, breastfeeding and babywearing.


Would you like to be a contributor on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer? We're always looking for creative writers who would like to share their cloth diapering tips. To find out more Contact Us

1 comment:

Irina Johnson said...

Thank you for this very informative post. It helps first time mothers like me to budget the family's needs and also look after my little one