Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Like Tweet

Diapering Baby #3

Hubs and I are expecting our third little in August. Before our first was born in March of 2010, we purchased a Live Grovia package at an end of the year sale. Honestly, I didn’t expect to need newborn cloth diapers after his umbilical cord fell off so we planned to just use disposable diapers until that point. Little did I know that my son would have the skinniest legs EVER. He was 21½ inches and weighed in at a healthy 7lbs 15oz. He should have fit into the smallest snap setting on our diapers. But those legs were as skinny as the winter twigs on our tree that cold March!

So, we suffered many leaks and used more disposables than I had hoped until he chunked out a little. And then things were basically perfect. We had a few run-ins with ammonia rashes, washing issues…all those awesome things that transform a newbie into a hardcore, bona fide cloth diaper whisperer.

When we found out about little number 2, due September 2011, I knew we needed to invest in some newborn fluff. I researched a ton on Kelly’s Closet and The Cloth Diaper Whisperer. Ultimately, I decided that although I’d fallen head over fluff in LOVE with all the cute little diapers like the Lil’ Joeys, we’d have to make due on the economical choice of the Bummis newborn pack. So we picked up two packs thinking that it would be enough to get us through! Bottom line: I really did like these diapers but trying to exclusively diaper a newborn with only 4 shells is mission impossible and I am no James Bond (or I guess in this case Kelly Wells…).

No sooner had I hand washed and hung out a shell to dry did little 2 poop in the next one. And weighing in at 9lbs 1 oz from birth, little sis didn’t need newborn diapers long. In fact, she fit into the one size Grovia diapers from the beginning and her cord fell off at day 6.

Now, on the cusp of welcoming little number 3, I’m not quite sure what to do. I’d love to cloth diaper exclusively from the beginning. Both of my children have extremely sensitive skin and suffered rashes from the chemicals in the disposable diapers in the beginning. And I don’t anticipate anything being different with number 3 (unless Hubs’ genes decide to be dominate this go around, his skin can tolerate ANYTHING!).

I DO know we’ll need more than the 4 newborn shells that we currently have if we want to cloth diaper full time from day 1. But on the other hand, if this little takes after big sis’ and her thunder thighs, we won’t really need many newborn diapers. What is a girl to do?!

So after looking more and more at newborn diapers on Kelly’s Closet and based on my experience with cloth diapers in general, I think I’ve decided to give a few different diapers a try instead of ordering a bunch of one kind. Cloth diapering is like eating from a box of chocolates without the handy guide, you never know which one you are going to love until you try it!

I think I am most excited to try a GroVia AIO stay dry newborn diaper but that might just be because I LOVE the woodland print…and maybe the bicycles too…heck, I love them all. I also want to give Kissaluvs a try! And of course, Lil’ Joeys (I am partial to Root Beer and Pumkin!)

Mindy is mommy to two spunky kids who have both been clothed diapered mostly from birth! She can often be found stalking Kelly’s Closet for no reason or trying something “crunchy” like washing her hair with baking soda! Follow along (when she has time) at neckdeepinlove.blogspot.com.

No comments: