Try Cloth Diapers Risk Free

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Like Tweet

The Pro Bono Cloth Diaper Consultant

Over the 20 months I've been cloth diapering, I've come across a lot of mom friends and family members - and even some friends without children - who have expressed an interest in cloth diapers. I've fielded questions about different brands, snaps versus aplix, washing and drying diapers, what fabrics/materials are best, how many to start a stash, and much more! Fortunately I've been able to convert a few disposable users to cloth and they always thank me for it later. After all, who would want to throw away money day after day once they realize how easy cloth diapering is? And of course none of them could believe what started as a way to catch their kid's pee and poop turned into a hobby and a bit of a retail obsession to have the latest and greatest (or newest and cutest prints)!

I spoke with my expectant sister-in-law yesterday who was gushing with information after she just received and immediately read cover-to-cover the Changing Diapers: A Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering book she ordered. She was relieved to see that some of the advice I had given her was also in the book, but it reminded me when I was pregnant two years ago creating my registry and besides reading about cloth diapering online ad nauseum, the only person I knew who cloth diapered gave me this bit of advice: only buy Rumparooz, and 12-14 should be enough. Good thing I did more research! Though I love Rumparooz, I also love having variety in my stash which is about half prefolds to keep costs down. This mom washed her diapers every other day, which is what I do now but my washer is always filled with close to 20 diapers.

My husband has told me that I should charge for all the time I spend consulting people on the world of cloth diapering, since I really will spend as much time as a person wants. But the way I look at it, if it keeps one more baby out of disposables - even just part-time - then it is worth it to me. Do you see yourself as a cloth diaper consultant at times, and do you love it as much as I do?

Ann J. is a cloth diaper fanatic and mom to a 20-month-old girl with the cutest cloth diaper butt on the block!

3 comments:

Laundry Lady said...

My husband thinks I should start my own business because I spend so much time talking about, researching and advising on cloth diapers. I do enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to stake my livelihood on it. It's fun to see my friends talk about cloth diapers on facebook and credit me with getting them started though.

twinsincloth said...

I've just started cloth diapering my twin 8 month old boys over here in Australia - it's quite a challenge because we just don't have the level of retail competition in the industry that you have in the US, so the upfront cost is pretty steep - but I'm already addicted and have turned into a cloth diaper evangelist! I say if I can do it with twins, anyone can!

twinsincloth said...

I've just started cloth diapering my twin 8 month old boys over here in Australia - it's quite a challenge because we just don't have the level of retail competition in the industry that you have in the US, so the upfront cost is pretty steep - but I'm already addicted and have turned into a cloth diaper evangelist! I say if I can do it with twins, anyone can!